Being a vegetarian, most people think I can't cook. Actually, I really enjoy cooking and find it a pleasure to eat something that I made for myself, just without meat products.
On this Sunday afternoon, I decided to prepare myself a Cabbage and Potato dish. It is so simple to prepare and the way I season it, all by taste, with no meat products, it knocks your socks off. Even my cats came over for a sniff!
1 head of Cabbage
5 small potatoes
4 tbsp butter or margarine
Red Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Creole Seasoning (optional)
1. Boil potatoes in a separate pot until ALMOST cooked, then drain water and sit aside.
2. Chop the cabbage in large bite-sized pieces in 2 inches of water, measured from the bottom-up of the pot.
3. The cabbage will make its own water and you want the cabbage to cook until it is tender to your liking. I like my cabbage to still keep its color. You may then remove some of the water if it's too much. I like to still see the juices through the cabbage.
4. Combine the potatoes with the cabbage and then add your seasonings to taste, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I like my cabbage and potatoes to have a kick to it so I like the Creole seasoning and a little red cayenne pepper.
5. Lastly, add the butter or margarine. Make sure that you use good butter or good margarine because it will add a lot more flavor to the seasonings you've put in already.
6. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes off the heat and then serve.
Yield: 4-5 servings, depending on the size of your cabbage and the amount of potatoes and broth you've decided to keep from the cabbage.